I love breadcrumbs on top of pasta, toasted with extra virgin olive oil of course and not any pasta, but this one for instance, with tuna, olives, capers and chili.
Ingredients for one:
- short pasta, but also spaghetti [as much as you like to eat]
- 1 small young cucuzza or zucchini [very thin sliced]
- canned tuna of your best choice
- 4 kalamata olives [each one cut in three parts]
- 4 capers [washed to remove the salt]
- 1 garlic clove [minced]
- 1 fresh green chili seeded [or dried chili flakes]
- 1 spoon of lemon juice and a pinch of lemon zest
- extra virgin olive oil
- homemade breadcrumbs toasted with extra virgin olive oil
- Start boiling the water for the pasta [one quart/liter for every 100 grams of pasta].
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and cook zucchini/cucuzza, stirring occasionally, until translucent and golden. Keep aside.
- Heat [down to low] one spoon of olive oil, in the same pan, and add minced garlic, olives, capers, tuna, lemon juice and zest. Cook for a couple of minutes and then add the fried zucchini.
- While the pasta is cooking, toast the breadcrumbs with a spoon of olive oil, in a small frying pan over a medium heat until golden and go on stirring until ready. Transfer immediately the breadcrumbs from the hot pan into a bowl and set aside - do not leave it in the hot pan, it will burn.
- Add the drained pasta to the tuna sauce and toss well to coat.
- Place the pasta in a serving dish, sprinkle bread crumbs on top and serve immediately.