Cliccare QUI per la ricetta in italiano
Eggplant patties [polpette] are one of my favorite food and very easy to make.
Ingredients for about 12 patties:
- 1 big eggplant
- 50 grams of grated cheddar cheese [provola would be better]
- 50 grams of grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 or 2 eggs
- handful of fresh chopped basil and/or parsley
- 4 garlic cloves chopped [in India garlic is small]
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs or more if necessary
- Freshly ground pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil for shallow frying
- Cut the eggplant into cubes. Peeling is optional, in fact i do not peel the eggplant.
- Boil the cubes in salty water and cook until tender. They will float, so occasionally push them down with a perforated spoon.
- Drain the eggplant in a colander, place a dish on top of them and place on the dish a pan filled with water as a weight. This simple process squeezes all the water out while they cool. Leave it for about 1/2 hour.
- The alternative to boiling is to roast the whole eggplant in the oven, but remember to poke holes with a fork to avoid explosion. When the eggplant is soft peel the charred skin and cut in cubes.
- Place the eggplant in a food processor adding eggs, cheese, chopped garlic, chopped basil/parsley, pepper and some breadcrumbs.
- Pulse a couple of times and check if necessary to add some more breadcrumbs to make the mixture firm. Pulse again but do not over mix because some texture is needed.
- If the mixture is enough firm there is no need to coat with breadcrumbs, so you can straight away make patties between your hands.
- Or you can take a spoonful of the mixture, roll it in the bread crumbs and make patties between your hands.
- Shallow fry the eggplant patties in extra virgin olive oil until the bottom is well browned and only then turn them to the other side.