I can't eat pasta every day, so, in the last three days i am eating colors, green leaves and ripe red fruits, making sauce with tomatoes and dessert with papaya.
For the white the best choice is basmati.
Here is my recipe for a green rice.
- Fenugreek leaves 1 cup (100 grams) [rocket/rucola would also fit well here]
- Spinach 1 cup (100 grams)
- Rice 1/2 cup (about 90 grams)
- 1 cup small cubes of Cheddar cheese (about 100 grams) [or any melting cheese but no mozzarella]
- 1 onion
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves
- Extra virgin olive oil - 3 spoons
- Mince onion and/or garlic and saute in olive oil till soft.
- Add the greens roughly chopped and stir fry.
- Boil the rice and lightly toss with the greens, do not mix completely [for the aesthetic factor].
- Add the cheddar cubes inserting them into the rice evenly, and let them melt without stirring. When they are almost completely melted and the rice at the bottom is nicely roasted, stir once again lightly and serve.
Down here is the red rice with tomato sauce made with Italian tomato puree and fresh Indian tomatoes charred, peeled, seed removed and cut in stripes. For a variation the rice can also be topped with labneh smashed with extra virgin olive oil and freshly ground pepper.
The Indian tomatoes are never really ripe and not proper for making sauce but recently i found canned Italian tomatoes here and the problem is solved. Still sometimes i really want to feel the taste of fresh tomato.
Holding the tomatoes on the gas fire [ i use the kitchen scissors] until charred, just few seconds, it is very easy to remove the thin peel.