Homemade Pasta with Fried Cucuzza and Arugula/Rucola Pesto
Discovering a forgotten cucuzza [lauki - lagenaria] in my fridge i decided to use it on some fresh pasta that i was going to make with rucola pesto.
Shallow fried cucuzza, or even better zucchini, according to me goes well as a topping also with tomato sauce.
Ingredients for the rucola (also arugula or rocket) pesto:
- a small bunch of rucola
- some shallow fried cucuzza or zucchini
- 1 garlic clove
- handful of almonds [peeled] and cashews [not roasted]
- milk [enough to cover the blades of the blender]
- 2 spoons ricotta or labneh
- 1 spoon grated parmigiano reggiano
- 2 spoons extra virgin olive oil
- Remove the stalk from arugula and place the tender leaves in a blender.
- Add the fried cucuzza, garlic, almonds, cashews, grated parmigiano and milk [or cream if you like].
- Add extra virgin olive oil only when the sauce is removed from the blender. Experts say that extra virgin olive oil when blended becomes bitter. There is no problem for any other kind of oil.
The milk is not orthodox, but i needed a liquid for the blending and didn't want to use cream, i think milk makes it lighter.
Top the pasta with some fried cucuzza or zucchini.